High Concept
Am I blogging...or am I pitching my existence?


Monday, June 07, 2004

The Pitch: It's like "Time Enough at Last" meets "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street."  

My buddy Teh Intarweb has failed me. It's (blissfully) quiet at work, and so I've hit the rounds and found--very little. Nancy's lovely post from last week. Tim updated his livejournal with a list of DVDs he purchased (since I was there when he purchased most of them, I wasn't as spellbound as you'd think). And then?

My small little habittrail of websites I visit have revealed, by and large, bupkis. No interesting stuff on Quarter to Three messageboards, on Planetcrap forums, on emocrap.com's forums, on Comics Journal messageboards, on Kolchaka's messageboards at americanelf.com. Nothing really frying my burger on diepunyhumans.com, on metafilter.com, on aintitcool.com, on Yahoo! India's most popular movie stories, on Graeme McMillan's comic news blog, on the five or six blogs I follow, on the blogs of the two or three people I consider arch-enemies, or, as far as I can tell, in the 100 or so emails from the Wallace-L mailing list I've got stored on my google account. About the only interesting thing I've gleaned from the Net today is that Creed broke up over the weekend.

Reagan died; J.Lo married; Creed broke up--it's three wells of formerly endless news coverage drying up all at once. Unless some site I haven't seen has crafted a brilliant conspiracy fanfic tying all three together--"Scott, no, you can't break up Creed," Nancy sobbed. "I'm sorry, ma'am," Scott said, pensively rubbing his cro-magnonish forehead. "But finding out the only woman I've ever loved is marrying Marc Anthony now that her real husband, the man to whom you pretended to be married, died in psionic combat with The Borg, there's seems no point in crafting power-pop ballads..."--the Internet seems more or less incapable of dealing with such a potentially huge paradigm shift in American media consciousness. I've read dozens of "Fuck Reagan" blog entries on the 'Net today (and several messageboards of terse but heartfelt tributes), half a dozen news stories on J.Lo, and two brief mentions of Creed biting the bullet (both of which were variations on "Oh, Thank God!").

All this, yet I can't find the release date of Elliott Smith's last album. What fucking good is this electronic medium of interwoven human consciousness for, anyway?

posted by Jeff Lester | 5:27 PM |
linking
Consuming
switching
helping
archiving