High Concept
Am I blogging...or am I pitching my existence?


Monday, June 28, 2004

The Post: It's like Superman II meets Batman Returns!  

Thanks to Edi's cool friend, we have preview tix for Spider-Man 2 tonight. This is cool, because (a) I get to leave work an hour early; (b) we get to see a movie for free; and (c) If I end up buying the Spider-Man 2 videogame, I don't have to worry about plot spoilers.

You'd think actually seeing the movie Spider-Man 2 would make the little alpha list of coolness, wouldn't you? The first movie didn't thrill me much, to be honest, so I'm being cautiously blase about the second movie. I liked the trailer I saw a month or two back (I really liked it, in fact), and the hype for the thing seems genuinely enthused rather than lacklusterly paid off but that seemed to be the case with the first movie. I also thought Mary Jane was treated creepily and exploitively in the first movie, and not just in the obvious "quick, let's squirt more water on her tank-top and crank the temperature of the set down another fifteen degrees" way. Apart from the given of all superhero movies (that the female lead will be erotically fixated on the costumed hero, despite knowing nothing about him), Mary Jane is crapped on by every other character in the movie except Peter Parker and doesn't seem particularly bothered by it. And Peter's final "I love her, but I killed her boyfriend's dad so she should stay with him" decision more than smacks of "woman as property" subtext--it grills it up right in front of you and tries to serve it up as a delectable morsel. This, more than anything, gives me pause about Spider-Man 2: the film.

posted by Jeff Lester | 11:58 AM |
linking
Consuming
switching
helping
archiving