High Concept
Am I blogging...or am I pitching my existence?


Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Pitch: It's like a Walk meets a Strike!  

Wow. Didn't intend to let that previous post stand as my most current for so long.

A little bizzy in the shizzy lately--overtime, newsletter, job #1, job #2, and MGS3. Yesterday morning, I beat MGS3 (for I think the third time) and then went to work where I picked up my copy of MGS: Subsistence and accompanying Metal Gear Saga (shown here for your viewing convenience) which I trepidatiously pre-ordered two months ago from EBgames.

Yes, now I can replay the game I just replayed, but with additional features and bonuses. I don't think my poor wife can allow this fact to fit in her head, even knowing me as she does. "Wait, when does Subsistence take place in relation to the game you just finished?" She asked me this morning.

"Uhhhh..." was the best I could master.

Fortunately, it is a game that rewards replays. The most recent time I replayed it, I went sniper-crazy, picking off one boss early (and so skipping the later fight with him entirely) and then picking off as many enemies as I could, as opposed to my usual tactics of trying to sneak through everything and swearing like a sailor when I inevitably fail. It really was like playing a different game, parts of which I enjoyed tremendously.

I imagine there's gotta be a good essay out on the Intarweb somewhere about the post-modern concepts of rereading a work and replaying a video game but I haven't found it yet. It'd be interesting to compare the replaying of video games with the rereading of literature. Although MSG3 doesn't have much thematic heft to it, there are some themes that may be worth exploring or thinking about in a literary sense. But more interesting to me is the idea that the creative team gives you additional items, secrets or tweaks to the gameplay when you replay the game to modify the experience. How this compares, favorably or not, to literary rereadings would be worth kicking around the curb.

But that's nothing I'm going to be getting to any time soon because I'm gonna be playing Subsistence.

posted by Jeff Lester | 4:30 PM |
linking
Consuming
switching
helping
archiving